Thursday, January 10, 2008

This is it!

Tomorrow morning, my dad and I will drive up to Cincinnati, I will practice that evening, and wake up the next morning to go and take a theory assistantship test at 8 in the morning, warm-up, and go and take my first grad school audition at 11. I'm as prepared as I can be, and I'm feeling pretty confident, although (and when is this not the case? Very rarely) I wish my reeds were a little better. Still (knock on wood), I know my stuff. I'm still terrified and stressed out of my mind, but yesterday seems to have been my freaking out day, so hopefully that will hold. Today I was much calmer, actually, and my practicing went well, especially in the morning, with the last half an hour this evening being finger-tied and weird with my reeds. Which is as it should be-it's like a dress rehearsal. I know I'll be able to pull it together on Saturday, so tomorrow is really the only day to worry about; once it's the morning of, it's too late for anything but intense butterflies in your stomach and really shaky hands afterwards.

My wonderful friends have kindly been distracting me with pep talks:


D: "Your oboe could start playing everything a half step sharp! Or, your hair could catch on fire and all of your clothes could fall off! You could be killed in a freak carnivorous plant accident before you even get to Cincinnati!!"

These are surprisingly effective, actually.

Additional wishes of good luck and/or pep talks are most certainly welcome, and I'll let you know how it went when I get back.

No comments: