Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My parents' house

I've been home for Christmas break since Saturday afternoon, and since then I've been wildly unproductive. Coming here always plays havoc on my practicing schedule, at least at first, and it's making me nervous- I have much less time, and a much more important goal, now than I did during summer break. It's not that I've been doing nothing oboe-wise, but it's been pretty much the bare minimum. And it's not as if I've been sitting around all day reading (I wish that I were doing that- I'm about 70 pages into reading Dracula for the first time and loving it)- I've done my Christmas shopping, and helped my mom with hers, and gotten boxes of Christmas tree down from the attic and all sorts of things like that- but what I'm doing with my time is really not what I should be doing.

I do, however, have a gig for Christmas Eve now. I got woken up yesterday morning by a call from Lazo, who is an oboist but who also arranges gigs for a large number of other musicians in the DC area, asking me if I were free to play a Christmas Eve service. One rehearsal tomorrow, at which I first see the music, and then a service on the 24th at 10:15 pm. Pays well, and hopefully will be a good group of musicians. I met Lazo last March or April at a friend's senior (oboe) recital, and he got me a gig up in Maryland in May. It was absolutely the best gig I'd played up until that point- Mendelssohn's Elijah, and quite a few of the instrumentalists were from military bands.

Having discovered Obohemia, I have to say that these two comics (comic one, comic two) pretty much sum up my view of life. Especially the second. :-D

I'm still planning to buy an Innoledy gouger, aided in part by Christmas money and in part by my job, sometime soon. I'm quite excited, especially since using my school's gouger never panned out. As far as I know, the school's is still sitting in the oboe locker, waiting for its repairs to be approved by the music department.

This is an interesting sound recording played on a reconstruction of a Greek wooden aulos. I'm not sure about the authenticity of the piece, but the sound of the instrument appears quite similar to that of the duduk, though not as extraordinary. It's also quite different from the "Hellenic aulos" recordings on the site, as those instruments appear to be made of metal.

1 comment:

Rema said...

I love obohemia. :D