Saturday, December 22, 2007

It's amazing the difference five minutes can make.

I know I've been going on and on about my recent oboe issues, and I'm not going to start that up again. But I was practicing this morning and got around to my excerpts and started on Tombeau. And it was wonderful. My last lesson of the year we'd worked on Tombeau, and it had just gone horribly, (although that was because I had not known we were going to work on it that day and so hadn't practiced it at all), and this was especially disheartening because generally, well, I rock that excerpt. It's one that I can play well, and musically, and with all of the notes clear and coming out. After that lesson, though, rather than getting into practicing it, I just let it (and all of my excerpts) sit some more. Today I finally picked them back up, and I was reminded that oh yeah, I can actually play the oboe. The Paladilhe was going pretty smoothly today also, as well as my Ferling etudes. The Gillet has reached that horrible stage where my fingers suddenly forget how to play everything, but I will persevere. The first movement of the Mozart Quartet just needs a lot of run-throughs. I suppose that's true of all my pieces, but I feel like I need to do just a little bit more work on musical elements of the Poulenc and Marcello.

I think I've finally kicked myself back into gear.


I saw Sweeney Todd last night, and I have to say I heartily approve. I was grossed out enough that I didn't completely love it, but the cinematography etc is amazing, and I was pleasantly surprised by everyone's singing ability except for perhaps Alan Rickman. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, though, did quite well, and were brilliantly cast. Also, the secondary roles (Johanna, her sailor boy-Antony?, and Toby) were cast for voices, and they were good voices. I was quite impressed, especially by the boys. Johanna was good, and appropriate for her character, but uneven. Tim Burton did take out all of the choir numbers, which I don't like, but as the choir was replaced by organ and a large quantity of brass, I can't complain too much.

2 comments:

C.J. said...

So???? How'd the gig go? Inquiring minds want to know!!

racheloboes said...

Ask and you shall receive: see above. :-)