Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Back from exile: my computer has been repaired

I had forgotten that my music library only owns one piece of English horn sheet music, the one (Hindemith Sonate) which I played on my last recital. I need to get them to order me some, because I absolutely want to play an English horn piece on my recital. If there are any suggestions of early or mid 20th century English horn solos (with piano or unaccompanied), I would much appreciate it. My teacher doesn't play EH, and so is not very much help.

In other, better, EH news, I will be playing in TWO pieces in the next orchestra concert. I'm a little surprised since we have 5 oboes this year, but one (a community member) is apparently traveling with her husband on his sabbatical, and one is singing instead. (This is great news for me, since every single one of our "big" pieces is one that I am absolutely dying to play- Carmina Burana, Firebird, Tchaik 5, Symphonie Fantastique.) This leaves me, a sophomore, and a new oboist, a community member who's very good. I'm doing EH on Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe, and either 2nd or EH on Carmina Burana. (The choir has started rehearsing, and I start grinning widely every time I hear a note of it.) This year winds have mandatory orchestra sectionals, but our pieces for this concert are pretty easy, so my teacher, the new oboist, and I (who, it seems, will be the core group this season) started rehearsing the Ravel. I'd never heard it before, but I think it's pretty gorgeous, and also boy am I glad I have the music a month early. Twelve-tuplets! I'm glad to be playing it, though, and to be doing it as well as Carmina is wonderful.

Technically the music dept has a double reed ensemble, but this tends to end up as trios if that, and this year apparently was no different. My teacher has suggested, though, that the new oboist and he and I play trios weekly or so. I definitely hope this works out. I really like chamber music, and with our department, I rarely get a chance. (Other attempts at double reed ensemble have been...memorable.) I feel like our sounds and ...personalities will match nicely. Also, having the new oboist there gives me just another little push to sound better in orchestra and sectionals and small ensembles. Plus, as a former music major who has played in orchestras and ensembles for, I think she said, 15 years, she's a good additional resource for me in terms of schools and pieces and such.

After about a month of practice room air-conditioning woes, they have finally been fixed- no more 90 degree, humid practice rooms! Of course, now they're absolutely frigid, but it's still much better.

I'm feeling rather despairing of my ability to get into any grad schools right now.
Oddly enough, I am also very pleased with my playing in orchestra. I'm managing to blend nicely, play in tune, and be musical on top of it all.

10 comments:

C.J. said...

Welcome back! I checked your blog every day to see if you had returned.

Carmina unfortunately is one of those pieces that are fun to listen to, but not fun to play. Lots of repeats. Lots of repeated notes. Hope you at least get EHorn on that sucker. Daphnis is great! You should feel very fortunate to be playing that in a Community orchestra!

Come to Oregon! Audition over here! You'll love the mild climate, and I noticed that we don't have many oboes this year, which is hard to believe considering how good the teacher is. Meanwhile, they have lots of scholarship money too!

Patty said...

Welcome back!

You might check out Julie Giacobassi's site over at http://fishcreekmusic.com/ ... she has CDs you could order to hear works for EH. I know John Marvin wrote for EH & piano.

Check out this page: http://fishcreekmusic.com/fcm_music.htm#English%20horn%20&%20Piano

Hope this helps!

Patty said...

Hmmmm ... that second link isn't complete is it?

Maybe I'll blog about this at my site. I'm guessing more people might be interested in Julie's site anyway!

Jill Cathey said...

Yay, glad you are back! Check out Gordon Jacob's Rhapsody for EH and strings - you can get it at TrevCo; although I was only able to find a music minus one recording of it; and it was the saxophone version (!). But it is a very nice piece, not technically difficult. I love all of Jacob's music, he knows how to write for double reeds.

racheloboes said...

Wow, I feel so loved!

I've heard that about Carmina, but the concerted effort is so great that I don't care. :-)

I'm quite excited about Daphnis now, it's so gorgeous. Got to love Ravel.

Patty and Jill, thanks so much for the EH recommendations. I'll definitely look into that website, and try to listen to the Jacobs- of any small ensemble I could find here, strings are the most promising.

Patty said...

I found the Jacob "Quartet for Oboe & Strings" on iTunes. I wonder if that's the same as the Rhapsody ...?

Jill Cathey said...

No, that is a different piece. There are actually 2 oboe concertos, a sonata, a sonatina and a bunch of small ensemble stuff (check out trevco's stuff here http://www.trevcomusic.com/onlinecatalog/composersearch/compositions.cfm
jill

Patty said...

Oops ... of course you are looking for EH and strings and the Jacob I found was for oboe. My mistake! (And my old brain.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you should check out the Hindemith Sonata for EH and piano. I played it on my senior recital; provided you know how both parts go, it's not too difficult to put together, and is a really nice piece for EH. Not too tiring, uses most of the range, etc. It's a great recital piece. :)

racheloboes said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm a fan of that piece- I actually played it last year on my recital. (It was the only piece of solo EH music in my music library at that time, and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it.