Sunday, August 26, 2007

Auditions all around.

My teacher replied saying something like "I'll clear up that misunderstanding with the other player". I think really I just caught him out, but that's okay. I'm fine with the audition, and quite prepared. I retreated back to the practice rooms today, despite the broken AC. It got nearly as hot in the room in my apartment, and I need to know what my reeds are actually going to sound like. I'm quite pleased, though. I made a very Philly-like reed today, and it turned out really well. If it's still nice tomorrow, that's what I'll use for my audition. If not, I have a few others that will work, though I need to tie some more on anyways. (When I made the one good reed, I had to squish two along the way.)


Speaking of reeds: I'm going to start gouging my own cane later this fall (on the school's machine). I obviously need to buy some tube cane, but while I know roughly what the good brands of cane are, I have no idea who's got good batches right now. Any suggestions would be very welcome.


First years moved in yesterday, and grounds are swarming with them. Three have signed up for oboe auditions- I think that's the most we've had since I've been here. If they're all good, things could get difficult- that would make 7 oboists rotating orchestra. But we'll see. (And only one of the has EH marked down. Still, if she ends up doing any EH that'll make 3 of us rotating on those parts.)

In orchestra we also have scheduled wind sectionals for the first time. Can't say it'll be a bad thing for some sections, and I'm sure it'll help us too, but...we didn't really need that.
Only a week and a half until the first rehearsal. Program is

MENDELSSOHN
Hebrides Overture

BRUCH
Scottish Fantasy for
Violin & Orchestra

COWELL
Hymn and Fuguing Tune No. 2

CHADWICK
Tam O'Shanter

I'm hoping for parts in the Mendelssohn and one other.

1 comment:

C.J. said...

I have some random aged cane that i'd like to get rid of. I can send you some tubes and if you like it, you could purchase a pound or so? I'll sell it for $60 a pound.