Thursday, July 26, 2007

Strings make everything better.

At work today the advanced band and orchestra put Pirates together for the first time. It was so much fun- either the strings are more advanced than the winds, or just having more people made it sound better (that is a good part of it, at least), but it sounded much more ...real. For, you know, an easy arrangement of three songs from a movie soundtrack.

I set up the room for them, since I asked the band teacher how many stands there were, for the orchestra, and he replied that oh, there were lots of stands up in that corner. But I got everybody set up more or less satisfactorily.

Also, I went into intermediate band for a bit today, and ended up playing (nearly sight-reading) an etude for them. It was fun, because they seemed pretty interested, and asked a lot of questions. When I played for the advanced group, they didn't really seem to care. But I said something to the teacher that I should bring in a real piece to play, and voila, on Monday I will be bringing in something to play for the groups. Now to see what I should play...I need something that will be interesting for them. And that I know well, since I will be out of town this weekend. Everything I have seems unpolished, or boring, or both. Ah, well, I'll think of something.

No comments: